- 3 cups whole grain flour
- 1 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/2 cup raw cacao nibs
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
- 10 drops vanilla essence
- 1 Tbsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 cups milk (or milk alternative)
- 2/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce or pumpkin puree
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup pecans or roasted walnuts (optional)
- 1 cup goji berries (soaked in warm water to soften for 10 minutes)
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut
Ingredients for Almond Cacao Icing
- 1 cup milk (or milk substitute)
- 3 Tbsp raw cacao powder
- 3 Tbsp almond butter
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp coconut nectar
- 1 Tbsp arrowroot powder mixed with 2 Tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 325º F and grease an 11 x13 3L pan with coconut oil.
- Sift dry ingredients.
- Blend wet ingredients.
- Combine dry and wet ingredients and stir to mix well. Add nuts and goji berries.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool before icing – garnish Brownies with fresh strawberries and chocolate shavings**Optional Variations**
** substitute up to 1 cup of Milk with coffee substitute **
** substitute pepitas for walnuts and add 1Tsp chili powder….Viva El Mexico!!!
Almond Cacao Icing
- Combine milk, cacao powder, almond butter and vanilla in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add arrowroot/water mixture and gently boil until thickened.
- Remove from heat and add coconut nectar.
Picture from theyummyvegan.blogspot.com